Osorno developed SecureWall™ to provide superior protection from internet intruders. Unlike an ordinary firewall, SecureWall™ has features that go well beyond the address translation of its less sophisticated competitors. By default, all ports are closed and require access through the “tunnel” of a secure connection. Key features include:
- SecureWall™ is based on the ARM® Cortex-A8 processor architecture.
- WAN-LAN communication is allowed only with equipment that is positively identified by its MAC address and its electronic key.
- The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is the default; AES is selected by the Canadian and US federal governments as the required encryption standard. AES is also an international standard (ISO/IEC 18033-3).
- 256-bit encryption is applied through AES-256; a key-recovery attack would require 2254.4 operations.
- Connectivity is via OpenVPN and OpenSSL, both of which are recognized as efficient and secure. SecureWall™ provided complete protection against the Heartbleed attack that caused problems worldwide in April 2014.
- SecureWall™ protects against denial of service (DoS) attacks by rate-limiting incoming requests.
SecureWall™ version 1 is shown in the picture (left).